An Obsession with Everything Else

http://www.derrickschneider.com/atom.xml

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How Do You Say "Dour"?

I discovered the "A Way With Words" radio show, and I listened to a recent episode as a podcast. One of the callers described losing a bet with her sister about the preferred pronunciation of the word "dour." I, like the caller, have always said it as a rhyme with "sour" or "hour." But the favored pronuncation rhymes with "lure." I should note that my laptop's dictionary and dictionary.com list the rhymes-with-hour pronunciation as an acceptable alternate pronunciation, but rhymes-with-lure sits in first place.



How do you say "dour?"

4 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

...just like you.


(i keep saying it the 'right' way. feels *very* weird in my mouth.)

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Derrick said...

American Heritage acknowledges the widespread use of rhymes-with-sour, but notes that 65% of the all-powerful Usage Panel prefers rhymes-with-tour while 33% preferred rhymes-with-sour.

They also note that the word is an etymological cousin to endure and duress.

But I agree. dour-rhymes-with-tour sounds weird. Of course, I'm adopting it just to be perverse.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Derrick said...

Hmm. Is it perverse to use the standard pronunciation?

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always sounded like "dower" in my head (but I have yet to whip it out in actual speech 'cause my friends are dum). Though after years of hearing it referenced in a favorite movie "A Room With A View" by a Brit as "dure"....I guess I'll take that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home