An Obsession with Everything Else

http://www.derrickschneider.com/atom.xml

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

New Journalism

Listening to an old Fresh Air today (which was in turn a repeat of a very old episode), I learned something astonishing. The narrative journalism I strive toward, the one that incorporates fiction elements into journalism, has a name, "New Journalism," though it's now 40 years old.

And it has an inventor, Tom Wolfe. Huh. I've never read his work, but now I feel compelled to do so. If I'm going to follow in someone's footsteps, I might as well see his shoes.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then I highly recommend getting yourself a copy of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and get a'readin'. The prose is manic and wild, which makes for a fun and interesting read, and a lot of it takes place around the Bay Area.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Derrick said...

Thanks, Phil. That one seemed the most interesting, though I'm sure The Right Stuff and Bonfire of the Vanities are pretty good, being, you know, iconic works. But the Kool-Aid book seemed like the subject I could enjoy the most.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home