An Obsession with Everything Else

http://www.derrickschneider.com/atom.xml

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Terms of Venery

Every word enthusiast eventually amuses himself or herself with "terms of venery," better known as collective nouns. These are the words you use to describe a group of things. You know, a gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, or, most famously An Exaltation of Larks. "Terms of venery" comes from the days when proper breeding required a gentleman hunter to know the proper names for the groups of animals he might find on a foray. Venus, who enjoyed the chase, lends her name to the root. "Venereal terms," though correct, hasn't persisted for some reason.



A recent Word-A-Day email included suggestions for new terms. My favorite was "a blather of bloggers." Melissa's, "a clique of photographers." I once came up with "a network of nerds." When my ex-girlfriend and I went to the symphony, we played the game for little black dresses, the fail-safe outfit for women lacking something to wear to an event. She voted for "a ubiquity of LBDs," while I opted for "a revelation." Different perspectives, I guess.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always liked "A packet of geeks". 8)

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Derrick,

An eructation of editors.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Derrick said...

Goodness. For some reason, Blogger _just now_ decided to tell me about these comments. Excellent suggestions from both of you...I just wish I had spotted them a month ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home