An Obsession with Everything Else

http://www.derrickschneider.com/atom.xml

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Writing Fiction

I'm trying to improve my writing. Most of my readers (on OWF and in print) might say that, by now, I'm a decent writer. Even I accept this. But I can do better. I want to be a great writer, not a good one.



I've taken another step down this path by reading Janet Burroway's Writing Fiction, a textbook for writing classes that a no-nonsense coach recommended to me at the Wine Writers' Symposium. I would recommend it in turn to anyone who wants to improve their craft as a writer.



I don't plan on becoming a fiction writer, though the book has certainly inspired me to try. But I do want to add story elements to my writing, and the principles of plot, setting, and characterization apply to fiction and nonfiction alike.



Indeed, the book's made me a better reader. I've been reading Best American Short Stories out loud to Melissa on car trips (disclaimer: I work for the publisher), and occasionally I'll stop and dissect the story based on my progress through Writing Fiction. Burroway writes simply but clearly, and includes numerous short stories that illustrate her points (though the copyrights on these pieces must have contributed to the $60 price tag). She provides excerpts from other works or student papers, taking you through the do's and don'ts for each area. I plan to re-read the book, taking time to do the exercises at the end of each chapter. I want to understand these aspects of writing, and include them in my own work as I move away from the reporting genre that I lean towards.



I can already see improvement. In a recent piece for Edible East Bay, I focused on characterization (always a weak point of mine) and setting, and tried out some ideas for making a connection without bludgeoning the reader with it.



I worry that I'm in some limbo, with writing not as good as it was before because it's on its way to being better. But my editor at Edible East Bay liked my piece a lot, so I haven't gone too far south.

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Betty Carlson said...

This really rings a bell with me, Derrick. I started taking a writing class "way back when" and was doing very well until I had to do a piece which described someone. I never got past that and never finished the class! Interesting to read about what you're working on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home