An Obsession with Everything Else

http://www.derrickschneider.com/atom.xml

Friday, October 19, 2007

How Editing Mistakes Happen

I'm pretty hard on editing mistakes in the wild, but I'm not immune to them in my own published work. 

Consider this one from my article about American brewers making Belgian-style beer:
What does it mean to emulate a Belgian beer? Perhaps the only trait the country's products share is a devil-may-care attitude about experimentation.

Tomme Arthur, brewer at San Marcos' Lost Abbey Brewery, says, "I think it's the artistic temperament of Belgian brewers that I'm into. There's an expressionary note that I appreciate. It allows for a tremendous amount of brewing freedom. I abhor the Germanic tradition of four ingredients and four ingredients only."

Germany's Reinheitsgebot, the beer purity law that dates back almost 500 years, prevents brewers from using anything but malted barley or wheat, hops, water and cultured yeast. Nonetheless, American Belgian-style brewers explore common ground. 
By the time you've finished digressing about the Reinheitsgebot, the statement about common ground has lost relevance.

That last sentence was supposed to cap off the digression about the devil-may-care attitude among Belgium's brewers. But my editor asked me to explain the German law. I then forgot to re-read the whole thing for clarity. 

The result: The drifting sentence at the end.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home